Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Grilled Bratwurst with Onions Braised in Beer and Mustard
4 4-oz. fresh bratwurst (or cooked or smoked varieties)
2 tablespoons bacon fat, lard or olive oil
3 cups thinly sliced onion, about 12 oz., 2 medium yellow onions
1/8 teaspoon sugar
12 ounces dark or amber beer
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons coarse-ground country-style mustard
4 crusty hoagie or Italian rolls, split
- Heat fat in 12-inch, deep skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and sugar, stir well to coat with fat.
- Sauté onions, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, or until starting to turn golden brown.
- Add beer, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan.
- Add bay leaves, lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir mustard into onions, remove from heat and set aside, discarding bay leaves.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place bratwurst on cooking grid, turning to brown evenly, until nicely browned and internal temperature reaches 160ºF. on an instant-read meat thermometer.
- Remove from grill and add to skillet with onions.
- Over medium heat, cook and stir until sauce becomes syrupy.
- Serve bratwurst in rolls, generously smothered with mustardy onions.
Recipe courtesy of National Pork Board.