Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Skewered Southwest Steak
1 beef flank steak (approx. 1 1⁄2 pounds)
Lime slices (optional)
Fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)
3 large cloves garlic
1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, lightly packed
3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon jalapeno sauce or 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Soak twelve 10 or 12-inch wooden skewers in enough water to cover 10 minutes; drain.
- Place garlic in blender container. Cover; process, pulsing on and off, until garlic is finely chopped.
- Add remaining marinade ingredients; process until mixture is blended.
- Trim fat from beef steak. Cut steak diagonally across the grain into 1/4-inch thick strips.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- In medium bowl, combine beef and marinade; toss to coat. Marinate 10 minutes.
- Thread an equal amount of beef, weaving back and forth, onto each skewer.
- Place beef on grid and grill, uncovered, 4 to 6 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning once.
- Season with salt, as desired.
- Garnish with lime and cilantro sprigs, if desired.