Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Lean Mean Cheeseburgers
1 pound ground beef (95% lean)
2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
1⁄2 teaspoon steak seasoning blend
4 seeded or whole wheat hamburger buns, split
4 slices lowfat cheese, such as Cheddar or American
Tomato slices (optional)
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Place oats in foodsafe plastic bag. Seal bag securely, squeezing out excess air.
- Roll over bag with rolling pin to crush oats to a fine consistency.
- In a large bowl combine ground beef, oats, and steak seasoning, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch patties.
- Place patties on grid and grill, uncovered, 11 to 13 minutes to medium (160°F) doneness, until no longer pink in center and juices show no pink color, turning occasionally.
- Line bottom of each bun with lettuce and tomato, if desired; top with burger and cheese slice.
- Close sandwiches.
Recipe and photo courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.