Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
Red, White and Blue Cheeseburgers
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 large white or yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 white or whole wheat hamburger buns or Kaiser rolls, split
- 3 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- Combine ground beef, thyme and garlic in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Brush both sides of onion slices with oil.
- Place patties in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange onion slices around patties.
- Grill, covered, 8 to 10 (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 7 to 9 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally.
- Grill onions 15 to 20 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally and brushing with oil. (Grilling times for onions remain the same on gas grill.)
- Season burgers with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Place 1 burger on bottom of each bun; top evenly with cheese and grilled onions.
- Close sandwiches and enjoy
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.