If someone tells you summer is the “only” time of the year to grill, stop talking to them. You don’t need that kind of negativity in your life. In fact, most grilling enthusiasts would argue that fall is the best time to grill. Because nothing beats a crisp autumn afternoon spent in front of a hot grill with a cold beer in hand.
While there are many reasons to love fall grilling, one that immediately comes to mind – all the FLAVORS! From pumpkin, apple and pear to caramel, maple, cinnamon and clove, fall has something for everyone. Plus, the autumn harvest brings in a variety of tasty, seasonal crops perfect for throwing on the grill. Here are 10 fall-inspired grilling recipes that feature some of our favorite in-season fruits and vegetables.
1. Grilled Butternut Squash
A classic fall staple, butternut squash tastes like a whole new vegetable when grilled. It’s crisp, bright, and not too sweet. Plus, it only takes 10 to 20 minutes to prepare, and that includes grilling each side for about five minutes. Grilled butternut squash can be enjoyed as a side or main course! Here’s what you’ll need for this simple dish.
- 1 butternut squash, small
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Get the full recipe here.
2. Zucchini & Eggplant Bruschetta Boats (Courtesy: Kraft Foods)
Tender in the middle, slightly charred on the outside, these grilled Zucchini & Eggplant Bruschetta Boats put a seasonal twist on a classic appetizer. See below for everything you’ll need for this recipe.
- 1 cup chopped mixed orange, red, and yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup KRAFT Tuscan House Italian Dressing, divided
- 2 small zucchini and Chinese eggplants, ends trimmed
- 1-1/2 cup KRAFT Finely Shredded Italian* Five Cheese Blend
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
Click here for the recipe directions.
3. Espresso Bourbon Steak with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Juicy tenderloin steak, bourbon glaze, and a side of mashed sweet potatoes, this recipe has ‘comfort food’ written all over it. While this may look like an expert-level dish, it’s actually a fairly simple recipe and only takes 1 hour to prepare. These are the ingredients you’ll need.
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 4 ounces each)
- 2 to 4 tsp coarsely cracked black pepper
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes (recipe below)
- Steamed green beans
- 1⁄4 cup bourbon
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp instant espresso coffee powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
To see the full recipe, click here.
4. Beef Jerky Baked Sweet Potato Skins (Courtesy: BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com)
As football returns in the fall, take the tailgate to your backyard with these Beef Jerky Baked Sweet Potato Skins. You can find the ingredients you’ll need for this tasty recipe below. Try it out and let us know what you think! Find the full recipe here.
- 1/3 cup dairy sour cream
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 small sweet potatoes (about 6 inches long), cooked and cooled
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped peppered beef Jerky
- 1/2 cup chopped jalapeño beef jerky
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
5. Apple Gouda Quesadillas
Craving something savory and sweet? Enjoy both with this Apple Gouda Quesadilla recipe! Trust us when we say it’s a refreshing change to the plain old quesadilla. Plus, it only takes a handful of ingredients to make. Here’s what you’ll need to get started.
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 red apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
For the full recipe with instructions, click here.
6. 6. Fire Roasted Apples (Courtesy: Bull Outdoor Products)
Fire Roasted Apples are the perfect fall dessert for a cozy night in. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and chopped pecans for an even sweeter treat! Recipe ingredients can be found below. Click here to learn how to make it at home!
- 6 large baking apples (Braeburn, Jonagold, Fuji or Honey Crisp)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream (optional)
7. Turkey Red Curry Pumpkin Bowls (Courtesy: Bull Outdoor Products & KCBS)
This Turkey Red Curry Pumpkin Bowl recipe includes a hearty dose of pumpkin, which contains Vitamins A, C, and E – all powerful antioxidants. This recipe requires a lot of ingredients, but it’s worth it for the end result. Here’s a list of everything you’ll need collectively for this dish.
- 4 to 6 sweet pie pumpkins, red kabocha squash, or other similar sized squash
- 2 tbsp coconut or canola oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Fresno or jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 to 4 tbsp prepared red curry paste
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken, turkey or vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Juice and grated zest from 1 lime
- 1/2 cup chopped herbs - basil, cilantro, and/or mint + more for garnish
- 2 to 3 cups diced or shredded turkey
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 to 3 cup leftover vegetables
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Aluminum Foil
Click here for the step-by-step instructions.
8. Bourbon Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars (Courtesy: Bull Outdoor Products & KCBS)
Nothing says fall quite like homemade pumpkin pie. These grilled Bourbon Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars have all the holiday pumpkin pie goodness but in a more user-friendly version. Below are all the ingredients you’ll need for the crust and the filling. Click here for the detailed recipe!
For the Crust:
- 1-3/4 cup crushed ginger snap cookies (7 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 3 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
For the Filling:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1-1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 3 tbsp bourbon
- 1 can (15 oz.) solid packed pumpkin or 2 cups fresh pumpkin purée
- 1-1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
9. Beef Tenderloin, Cranberry & Pear Salad
Ready in just 25 minutes, this Beef Tenderloin, Cranberry & Pear Salad recipe will become a new staple in your fall menu rotation. See below for the ingredients you’ll need to prepare this healthy weeknight meal and click here to learn how to make it on the grill!
- 4 beef Tenderloin Steaks, cut 3/4-inch-thick (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package (5 ounces) mixed baby salad greens
- 1 medium red or green ripe pear, cored, cut into 16 wedges
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese (optional)
10. Grilled Pears with Mascarpone
Looking for a light dessert after a big barbecue meal? Look no further than these delicious Grilled Pears stuffed with Mascarpone cheese! Besides being tasty on their own, pears pair nicely with other fall produce (say that 3 times fast) like squash and apples. Here’s the list of ingredients you’ll need for the pears and mascarpone filling:
- 6 pears, firm but ripe, seeds removed
- 3/4 cup Grand Marnier
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 6 pecan shortbread cookies, crushed
- 1/2 cup Grand Marnier
Be sure to check out the full recipe here. While you’re at it, explore the many other grilling recipes we have to offer at BlueRhino.com!